I was bitten by an animal. Now what do I do?

Missouri law requires that all animal bites that puncture the skin be reported to the health department. We complete an investigation in to the health of the person as well as the animal’s health.  We want to protect the person who was bitten from rabies.

I need a certified copy of a birth or death certificate, where can I go?

Gasconade County Health Department can only print vital records for the state of Missouri at the Hermann and Owensville office. Complete an application for a copy of a Birth or Death Certificate (do not sign the application), and bring it into the health department along with the required fee. We accept cash, check or credit card. Proof of ID is required. If you are unable to come in person, the application can be notarized and mailed with the fee for processing.

How do I apply for WIC services?

It’s easy to apply for WIC!  Just call our office at 573-486-3129 to schedule an appointment.

Can men participate in WIC?

WIC welcomes men!  WIC recognizes the important role that fathers, grandfathers, stepparents and other guardians play in caring for children.  Although you are not eligible for WIC, fathers and other caregivers are encouraged to enroll their children under the age of 5 in the WIC program.

How do I apply for Medicaid and/or Food Stamps?

Division of Family Services handles Medicaid and Food Stamp needs. Their office number is -855-373-4636 or you can apply online at Welcome to myDSS | mydss.mo.gov.

I’m traveling to another country, what immunizations do I need?

Anyone traveling out of the United States may be at risk for exposure to diseases that are uncommon in this country. For more information about appropriate international travel vaccination visit www.cdc.gov/travel/content/vaccinations.aspx. This site also has information about where the closest clinics are located that have vaccines that may be needed.

What are the steps to open a food establishment??

Contact the Gasconade County Health Department and ask for the Environmental Public Health Specialist (EPHS).  We will provide you with a packet of information which includes an application, a link to the Missouri Food Code, an inspection checklist, and various other educational materials.  We will then schedule an inspection visit at the site or facility proposed for operations.

Do I need a permit to open a food establishment?

Gasconade County does not have a county ordinance covering food establishments, so permits are not issued in our County.  However, we are contracted with the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services (DHSS) to enforce the Missouri State food codes.

Do I need a permit to operate a portable food stand for a temporary event in Gasconade County?

You do not need a permit since we currently do not have a food ordinance in our County.  However, we do require that you follow the Missouri State food code requirements for temporary food events.  Contact the GCHD EPHS for information regarding these events.

How do I file a complaint about a food establishment?

You can fill out the complaint form and submit to the GCHD EPHS along with your contact information or call us at 573-486-3129.

Where can I get more information about food establishment?

You can contact the Gasconade County Health Department, or you can click on the following link to access the Missouri Food Code:  https://health.mo.gov/safety/foodsafety/pdf/missourifoodcode.pdf

Are all lodging establishments including B&B’s/Airbnb’s inspected in Gasconade county?

No. The only lodging establishments inspected in Gasconade County are Missouri State “Permittted” lodging establishments.

Are all lodging establishments required to be permitted?

No. A permitted lodging establishment is determined by the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services (DHSS) and is defined as:  “Lodging establishment” shall include any building, group of buildings, structure, facility, place, or places of business where five (5) or more guest rooms are provided, which is owned, maintained, or operated by any person and which is Lodging Rule 19CSR20-3.050 Page 7 kept, used, maintained, advertised or held out to the public for hire which can be construed to be a hotel, motel, motor hotel, apartment hotel, tourist court, resort, cabins, tourist home, bunkhouse, dormitory, or other similar place by whatever name called, and includes all such accommodations operated for hire as lodging establishments for either transient guests, permanent guests, or for both transient and permanent guests.”

Where can I get information about the requirements for lodging establishments?

You can access the Missouri Lodging code by clicking on the following link:  https://health.mo.gov/safety/lodging/pdf/lodgingmanual.pdf

Do I need a permit to install an onsite waste water treatment system (OWTS)?

For a single-family home and you are on 3 or more acres, you do not need a permit.  If you are on less than 3 acres, a permit is required.  We do not currently provide permits, so you will need to contact the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services OWTS department to obtain permitting information. 573-751-6095.

How do I report a complaint about an OWTS?

Fill out a complaint form and submit to the GCHD EPHS with as much detailed information as possible or call us at 573-486-3129.

How do I find an approved installer in Gasconade County?

Go to the Environmental Health tab, Waste Water, and click on Registered Installers link and an updated list of installers should be available to contact.

Where can I get more information regarding onsite wastewater treatment systems?

You can contact the Gasconade County Health Department, or you can clink on the following link for the Missouri Onsite Wastewater Treatment System (OWTS) website.  https://health.mo.gov/living/environment/onsite/

How do I get a new social security card?

You will need to contact the Social Security Office at 800-772-1213 or https://www.ssa.gov/.  The Union office is located at 43 Prairie Dell Plaza, Suite 5, Union, MO  63084.

How may I get help with food?

There is a local food pantry in Hermann and Owensville.  Hermann Food Pantry can be reached at 573-486-0557.  Helping Hands Outreach in Owensville can be reached at 573-437-8880.

Tenant and Landlord Disputes – Who do I call?

Landlord issues need to be addressed to the Missouri State Attorney General.  The Attorney General can be reached at 573-751-3321 or their website is www.ago.mo.gov; search for landlord-tenant law.

Do you provide STD Testing?

We only provide testing for HIV and Syphilis.  Contact your health care provider for other STD testing.

Do you provide sports physicals?

No, the Gasconade County Health Department does not provide sports physicals.  You will need to contact your local provider for this service.

How do I get a copy of a marriage certificate?

Certified copies of Missouri marriage certificates are available from the County Recorder of Deeds where the marriage license was obtained.  For details please contact these offices directly.

You may contact the Gasconade County Recorder of Deeds at 573-486-2632.

How can I Dispose of my old medicine?

Look for Medication Drop Boxes.  The nearest ones to Gasconade County are located at:

  • Hermann Police Department
  • Cuba Police Department
  • Maries County Sheriff’s Department

Or, call the local health department for more information at 573-486-3129.

Have additional questions?

Contact Gasconade County Health Department by filling out the form below!

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.